Frequently Asked Questions of Cycle City Tours
Do I have to book a tour in advance?
Space is limited on our tours to keep group sizes small, so we recommend booking in advance. You can alternatively show up at the time of our daily tour, but we may not have space or be running a tour that day. It is highly recommended to book or call in advance.
What is your cancellation policy?
Due to limited space on our tours, our cancellation policy is as follows:
- More than 24 hours – Full Refund
- Less than 24 hours no refund is possible
- We may be able to reschedule a tour for you if unforseen circumstances arise. This is based on tour availability.
What if it rains?
Our city is located in a Temperate Coastal Rainforest environment, so it does rain here regularly (making it lush and beautiful!). As Vancouverites, we don’t let our “liquid sunshine” stop us from riding our bikes and we are happy to go out rain or shine, and can still have an amazing tour if dressed for the weather, and we provide light ponchos for your use. We do understand that not everyone wants to get wet, so if it is raining 2 hours prior to your tour and you don’t want to go out in the rain, just call us at 604-618-8626 and we will happily refund your tour in full or try to reschedule if you have time.
NOTE: June, July, August and September are typically the driest months of the year, but it is wise to bring along an extra layer just in case if the forecast indicates a chance of rain (local forecast).
Where do the tours start and end?
- You meet your guide in front of Spokes Bike Rental shop, corner of Denman and Georgia. Your guide will be wearing a Cycle City Tours shirt. Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the tour to get your bike and prepare to go.
- “Cycle City Tours, CycleVancouver.com, (604) 618-8626, meets at Spokes Bike Rentals, 1798 W. Georgia St., Vancouver, BC V6G 2V7, (604) 688-5141″
What time should I arrive for the tour? What if I’m late?
- We ask guests to arrive no less than 15 minutes in advance of their tour as we require waiver forms to be signed and time for bike fitting.
- Tours start promptly at the time stated. We cannot wait for late guests as this affects the experience of other riders. If you are late, please try calling as you may be able to catch up to the group at your own risk.
Should I tip my guide?
- While not mandatory, tipping is appropriate and our guides certainly appreciate it for a job well done! As in other service-based industries, tipping encourages the outstanding service that our guides continue to provide. Please consider this when planning your monetary needs on the tour.
What kind of bicycles do you use?
- You can choose your bike style: Mountain, Cruiser Hybrid, or Tandem
- All bikes have water bottle cages and handlebar bags which are perfect for holding a camera, wallet, or snack
Can I bring my own bike?
- Of course! Many hotels now offer complimentary bike use. Keep in mind that we cannot guarantee or repair any bikes on tour that are not our own. If you bring your own bike, please make sure it is in good working order. You will be prompted in the booking process to select a bike rental.
Can I keep my bike for the rest of the day?
- Certainly! Your guide will point out other areas of interest and can suggest a great route to keep you pedalling for the rest of the day. By taking one of our tours, you can keep you bike till day’s end for only $20. Please let us know when you arrive.
What if I haven’t biked in many years?
Our tours only require basic riding ability and basic fitness and your guide will set a very relaxed pace. Expect to ride for a maximum of 15 – 20 minutes at a time between breaks. We make every effort to cater to the slowest rider in the group, but keep in mind that we have to try to keep our schedule on time. We stop regularly for information, bathroom breaks, and photo ops. Your tour leader will go over general group riding etiquette so that everyone rides safely.
** For custom or group tours, if your group would like to ride further or faster, just let your tour leader know and we can pick up the pace!
Do I have to wear a helmet?
Yes! Its the law in British Columbia for all (adults included) to wear a helmet. Our rental shop will supply helmets and bike locks for free, and you must wear your helmet while riding. You may bring your own.
What to bring:
- We ride rain or shine! Be prepared for any kind of weather as the forecast can change quickly here on the West Coast. Check out our current weather forecast. If it is raining, and you absolutely do not want to ride in the rain, you may cancel with no penalty two hours before your tour’s start time.
- Some cash for any goodies or souvenirs you would like to purchase on the way. We typically do not stop at souvenir shops, but may visit galleries, markets, or small shops where you may choose to purchase a little something.
- Comfortable footwear (closed toe shoes) and bike-friendly clothes.
- Light ponchos will be available to borrow from your Tour Leader.
- Don’t forget your Camera!
Can I bring my kids on the tour?
- We want to meet the needs of both children and adults, we ask that families with children 11 and under contact us to schedule a family tour. If you’ve got a very mature youngster who is experienced on a bike, please talk to us as we can be somewhat flexible for families.
Is there a minimum number of riders required for booking?
- We want to make sure everyone who wants to come on a Cycle City Tour has the opportunity. We generally require a minimum of two guests, but we may be able to run a tour for an individual if we have no other bookings for a small additional fee. It is more fun though when we have a group, so bring your friends!
I don’t think I can ride a bike for the length of the tour…
- Our tours move at a very moderate pace and we will adjust the pace to suite the needs of the group. We’ve had people of all ages and ability come on our tours, from kids to an 80 year old! Electric assist bike we may be able to source an electric assist bike for you if you are really concerned! Please contact us for more information!
Please feel free to contact us with any questions that you have. We are happy to hear from you!